
My last book selection was Bitter Sweets. it caught my eye the last time I was at Target. I really like to read stories that are about families in different cultures. It is interesting to see that family dynamics can be the same no matter what your background. This book was a particularly convoluted story that ended in a way that I would not have predicted. The themes of the book are lies and deception. It made me think of the different ways we lie and decieve others just to "keep the peace".

To follow this South East Asia theme, I also saw a great movie that was recommended by a friend called, "Before the Rains". This was a very good film. Some of the themes were lies, deception and sacrifice. It always angers me that a woman always has more to lose than a man in most situations.
I really enjoy studying Asian and South East Asian cultures. I minored in Asian American Studies as an undergrad and really enjoy reading and watching movies with this theme. If you know of any others, please share!

No comments:
Post a Comment