Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Ori's first track meet

Ori competed in her first track meet today and I couldn't be more proud. We have another track star on our hands! Her school had the qualifying meet for the regional meet later on in May. I have been a nervous wreck waiting for this day. Wondering if she would be fast enough, would there be another kid that would best her. But all of my fears were completely unfounded.

We went on Saturday to pick up her first pair of running shoes. I decided on Kohls since I had a 20% off coupon. She tried on a pair of pink and light blue Nikes and a pair of black and hot pink Nikes. She chose the black and hot pink and proceeded to test them out around the store. I knew that she really like them because she wanted to wear them home but I told her she would get to test them out on Sunday.

On Sunday, my dad took her out to the track to give her some tips. We went out the Mission my old high school and he showed her how to start, how to move her arms and run through the line. The funniest part was when he was explaining how to beat other runners. He told her that he was going to pass her and she had to try to stay in front of him. He counted off, ready...set...go and they set off. As he tried to pass, Ori just kept running in front of him, making sure he could not pass. We both died laughing. We forgot that 5 year olds are quite literal and you have to explain exactly what you mean. We got that explanation down and she continued to run up and down the track. She is a great listener and implements things immediately. She is a very coachable athlete.

Today was the meet. She woke up ready to race with such excitement. She asked if I was going to be there and I assured her that I would not miss it for anything. I went down to the school and helped with the softball toss. Malcolm was having a great time, out in the sun. The 2nd grade boys really took a liking to him and of course he charmed all the moms. Soon, I saw Ori's class heading over to the 50 yard dash. She didn't see me at first and was looking around. Finally, she came around the corner and saw me. She had the biggest grin on her face. She was so happy and so confident. It really made me feel good that she was so happy to see us. Ori is such a great young lady and I am so happy that she has such great confidence.

When her turn came she took to the line. She took her stance just the way her granddad showed her. The gun sounded and she shot off. Great form. Great focus and lightening fast feet. She shot to the front and came across the line first each time. She made me so proud I was tearing up as she was running. Another generation of runners begins her reign. I cannot wait to see what she can do. May can't come soon enough and I already have high hopes for Malcolm.

No comments: