Monday, October 23, 2006

Sorry Sofia Coppola



I'm sorry Sofia but I just didn't like your movie, "Marie Antoinette". The trailer was exquisite! I was fully in love with the trailer. The sweeping landscape, the absolute grandeur of Versailles. The beauty of the clothes and....the shoes. Just lovely.

But then flash forward to the movie and I was left with an empty space in my heart. There was no body to this movie. There was no character development. If I did not know the story, then I would be lost. I would not understand half of what was going on. I had to constantly explain different things to my husband so that he could follow along. Then the end..it just fell flat. It just ended...quite simply. It was just over.

I'm very disappointed, I want to feel what Marie Antoinette felt. When she got dissed, I wanted to feel that. When she was at the height of her grandeur, I want to feel that as well. But it was like watching a slideshow of someone's life without the benefit of their narration. It was lots of pretty pictures but no plot. I was devastated. I was really looking forward to a good period piece.

Maybe next time.

1 comment:

Evonne and Darren said...

The trailer looks so good that it makes me want to see it, but now after reading your review... maybe I should put it on my Netflix queue then! =(