Well, yesterday I had my first virtual class meeting and I must say I was disappointed. I am trying to reserve judgment until I give the instructor a little time to get into the material but it is just so hard. He literally spent 15-20 minutes having us send out smiley faces to make sure that we could hear him. I mean we were sent clear instructions to check our audio and microphone levels before we started class. I understand doing one test but 15 minutes of "Can you guys hear me?" is just a little much for me.
The other thing was that he was so repetitive about the audio issues, talking about the fact that his other headphones got damaged and he has to use his back up pair. I was crying in boredom. How was that relevant to the course. Let's get down to business already. So, once we had gotten the audio exercise out of the way, I thought that we would start talking about the material that we were to read. No...then we talked about students who were late or dropped the class, etc. etc. Then about 20 or so minutes before the end of our class, he brings out the outline of the chapter that he has distributed on Saturday. He kind of talks about it on a high level. Mind you, we were supposed to have already read this material and all it really was is an outline of the chapter that we were supposed to read. The book that we are reading, is more like an outline to begin with and includes lots of graphs. So, needless to say I did not learn anything new nor did we discuss anything pertinent to our course that was new.
I was not impressed but this was only class number one. So, I am going to give him a chance to warm up a bit but I am already suspect of his teaching style. It is not one of my favorites and I hope I will be able to pay attention.
Wednesday, February 02, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment